Monday, May 19, 2014

Suffer The Children by Craig DiLouie

★★★★
An apocalyptic horror story about a mysterious affliction that swiftly kills all the children of the world. They awaken from their graves a few days later hungry for blood. The parents then have to consider how far they will go to provide for their children.

Suffer The Children is a chilling horror story grounded in reality by great characterization. The story is told from four points of view. Each perspective gives a broader look at the effects of the epidemic.

The characters were complex and well rounded. I enjoyed how authentic they felt. It was easier to empathize with them because their motivations and thought process were clearly illustrated.

Though the abnormal death and resurrection of the children was alarming I think it was the response that was truly frightening. I adored how the author challenged the reader’s outlook by presenting morally ambiguous situations and decisions. I also appreciated the amount of research and thought that went into this book.

At the core of the story is the emotional, instinctive, and protective parent to child bond. It explored themes such as family, faith, guilt, grief, love, death, time, and family dynamics.

I think if the reader were a parent or perspective parent this story would be exceptionally horrifying. Even though I’m neither this book was still able to give me chills.

The world building in the story was fantastic. The story explored what disaster relief protocols would be put in place. It also illustrated the global effects on the economy and medical field.

I enjoyed the focus on how people from different backgrounds reacted. The behavioral study was particularly intriguing to me.

Suffer The Children is a horror story I found to be exceptional because it was grounded in a sense of reality.

[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher Permuted Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review]

No comments:

Post a Comment